How to care for your Arc’teryx jacket
When you purchase anything from Arc’teryx, it comes with the knowledge that the product is high-quality and should last a long time. Unfortunately, many folks do not know the proper way to care for their gear. They end only getting a couple of years of use out of a piece that should have lasted them ten years without fail. Not every jacket is the same. It is imperative to pay attention to tags and labels. But here are some basic rules to follow when caring for your technical clothing.
Synthetic insulation jacket care
Most jackets will come with the warning to avoid the following: ironing, dry cleaning, bleaching, and wringing dry. These cleaning techniques will damage the insulation and other materials in the jacket.
Things to do with your synthetic jacket, in general, include: hanging the jacket when storing it, washing with cold water on a gentle cycle separate from normal clothing, drying on low heat on a low/delicate setting. You can also buy a detergent specifically for technical gear.
Instructions taken from Atom SL
Down insulation jacket care
Down insulation is a high-performing natural material. If you treat it poorly, it performs poorly. If you treat it well, it has the potential to last for decades. Here are some dos and don'ts for general down jacket care.
- Do use a front-loading washer or mesh bag to protect the jacket from too much abrasion. (Use warm water when washing: 86° Fahrenheit)
- Don’t iron your jacket or use fabric softener.
- Do dry on low heat with tennis balls to help keep loftiness.
- Don’t fold the jacket away in storage or use a compression sack for more than a day or two.
- Do use detergent made specifically for washing down. And wash separately from other clothing items.
- Don’t wring your jacket to dry it.
Instructions taken from Cerium SL
Rain shell care
Rain shells are another type of jacket that last longer when treated with technical gear detergent and wash-in water repellent. Whenever you do wash your rain jacket, it is often recommended to rinse twice since the jacket is so water repellent and has a non-permeable membrane throughout its construction.
Wash your jacket in warm water (104° Fahrenheit). Do not use fabric softener. Do not iron. Tumble dry on medium heat.
Instructions taken from Zeta SL